SGX Stock Code: J37 / Stock Price: 28.540
A sterling example of a company with diversified business interests, Jardine Strategic Holdings (JSH) was one of last week’s top five gainers on the Singapore Exchange(SGX). Founded in 1986, JSH is based in Hamilton, Bermuda. Though it is a subsidiary of Jardine Matheson Holdings, it is interesting to note that it owns 56% of its own parent company.
Jardine Matheson is one of Jardine Strategic Holdings’ six principal interests which reflect the wide variety of industries in which it is engaged. Across these industries, JSH runs a total of some 6,400 retail outlets and 46 resorts and hotels.
A quick but closer look at the six main segments through which Jardine Strategic Holdings conducts its business:
- Jardine Matheson is an investment holding company involved in the following industries:
- Engineering and construction
- Transport and vehicular sales and services
- Information technology
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Risk management and employee benefits
2. Hongkong Land focuses on property investment, management and development.
3. Dairy Farm is an Asia-wide retailer which operates
- Health and beauty stores
- Convenience stores
- Home furnishing outlets
4. Mandarin Oriental invests in luxury hotels, resorts and residences.
5. Jardine Cycle & Carriage engages in vehicular sales and services in Southeast Asia.
6. Astra International is an Indonesian company that provides products for automobiles and motorcycles.
JSH also has a minority interest in the Zhongsheng Group, which is a major automotive dealership in China.
Other industries which JSH engages in include:
- Cement production
- Heavy equipment
Bloomberg reports a 4.32% YTD return for JSH, with a one-year return of -15.07%.
Jardine Strategic has a dividend-indicated gross yield of 1.00%, with an earnings per share of USD3.260.
- Jardine Strategic bought back 55,000 shares in May at prices ranging from USD29.17 to USD28.96 each for cancellation.
- Jardine Cycle & Carriage, which is 75%-owned by JSH, has made its first quarter financial statements and dividend announcement in April.
- Astra International released its first quarter financial statements in April as well, citing soft automotive demand and weak commodity prices as challenging trading conditions.
- Moody’s said in March that the lower 2015 results of Jardine Matheson Holdings and Jardine Strategic Holdings do not affect JSH’s A2 issuer rating.
See which of more than 8,000 sophisticated investors in Singapore are buying and selling JSH shares! Download the Spiking app on the App Store today!
Photo credit: http://www.jardines.com/the-group/group-offices.html